Monday, January 31, 2011

Buying a Telephone

Living in Istanbul brings a lot of excitement to my life.  About a week ago, I wanted to buy a telephone.  so, I went to my carrier, picked out the phone I wanted to buy but I couldn't explain that I already had a sim card.  Well, there was gentleman there who spoke perfect English but his second language was French.  That didn't help.  So, I asked, very half-heartedly "Does anyone in the store speak French?"  I couldn't believe it, a lady stands up from the desk (a customer) and says "I speak French and Turkish."  To make long story short, I bought my new telephone by speaking English to the gentleman, who spoke French to the lady, who in turn spoke Turkish to the sales lady.  Before we were finished with the transaction, the Turkish sales lady was talking to the French gentleman in Turkish and I was talking to her in English.  We all had a wonderful laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this story....then read it outloud to my family and we all just laughed.

    ReplyDelete