Thursday, June 23, 2011

"My Turkish Joys" Cheesecake Class (cooking)

Cheesecake!

Oh my gosh!  This was so much fun!
Please meet Joy -- an American Chef, expat living in Istanbul and my friend.  She is a wonderfully creative cook who enjoys sharing her talents with us.  Wether it be bringing food and treats to game day, sending food with her husband to work or now my favorite, teaching us in her home.  She had several of us over on Monday for a Cheesecake class.  My husband loves cheesecake so I was all in for learning how to make this taste sensation!
The first thing we made was the No-Bake cheesecake.  It was so much fun to see the substitutions she has found here for use in this recipe.  For me that has really been one of the hardest things -- finding what will work. 
We also made a "Homemade Cherry Compote" which was so easy.  I would have never tried it on my own but seeing how it's done make a world of difference for me.  I really can't wait to try it with apples or blueberries.
This is my friend from Africa -- She is carrying a brand new American!  He's due in just a few weeks and we (well I am) getting pretty excited about it!  She's enjoying her No-Bae Cheesecake! 
This is my other new friend -- we had actually met at on another occasion -- She sells the Turkish made jewelry that she is wearing.  I am sure I will have more to share about that in the coming weeks.  She also with child! 
We also had a great demonstration on how to make NY Cheesecake -- Turkish style!  I loved seeing this and really have loved eating it!
These are the "pakets" (that is what we call food to take-out here) that Joy made for us to bring home.   Actually yesterday I had the Cheesecake Brownies for lunch!

So, here is the deal -- I challenge you to go to Joys Blog http://myturkishjoys.blogspot.com/ and find the recipe for the No-Bake Cheesecake.  You say what is so challenging about that?  Well, it is in metric, also, Turkish ingredients.  If you take this challenge, be sure and post what you have discovered about translating and coverting recipes.  It will be fun for you and google has all the tools you need.  Go ahead and try it . . .

Hope to see you soon -- Sheryl







1 comment:

  1. Oh poo! For some reason the link didn't pick-up the "h" in the link address -- please click on the link and and then add the "h" in the address line. Please forgive me for missing this -- it was vital!

    ReplyDelete